Today the implementation of technology in business is a very important issue, this allows us to be more productive, efficient, improve the relationship between companies and users, helping us to read the market and more. If you are in early-stages your business or company should have a great question whether to invest in custom software or commercial, but you wonder what is all that, well do not worry come and learn a little more about this great subject, and help your company grow.
But as always before going into detail you should first know and understand the difference between custom software and a commercial.
Difference between Custom and Commercial Software
Custom software first:
Custom software is an app ( mobile or web
) created specifically for your needs or process and adapted to your type of market. Basically it’s code developed in a a blank canvas, which you can remove or add as many gestures and functions as you need.
You can develop it with a team you hire and help you create the best software solution for the challenges you have (no matter the area) within your company.
When investing in these technologies you must specify to the development company each of your requirements and challenges to be solved so that based on this you can run software adapted to your needs. Some of the features of custom software programming include:
- Fully customizable
- It contains only the functionalities you need
- Ongoing support
- Flexible pricing
- Infinite scalability
- Possibility to monetize with the tool in the future
- It is a long term solution
Second Option: Commercial Software
They are easily accessible, but you don't have the decision to add or remove functionality (unless it's open-source software). But in this second case, you still couldn't decide the tech stack
(programming language and tools) to be used because you aren't in charge of the team that developed it. And although you can change the code, if there is a newer tool or a library that works better, and if it isn't compatible with the source code, you simply cannot use it.
But in general, they are apps developed by someone else, thought out generically.
Commercial software is a short-term option because your company, like all companies, will be constantly changing, and if you have new needs in your processes, your commercial tool probably will fall short.
But if you need a very short-term solution or for a generic process, this option can work well for you.
Pros and Cons of Commercial Software vs Custom Software
Pros of Commercial Software:
- One of the great advantages of commercial software is saving time because you don't need to develop it from zero. It's already created. You install it or buy it, and that's all.
- Also, as these types of software are more common, it is possible that the worker knows it better and how to use it, so you can reduce errors and spend less time training staff on how to use it.
- Another important aspect is that the companies and developers that created the software are known with a good reputation (commonly) since commonly this software is highly sought after and recommended among companies and businesses. But this isn't true at all because there is high-quality commercial software from startups or small tech businesses. Everything will depend on the area you need the software solution.
- But if you need a very short-term solution or for a generic process, this option can work well for you.
- This software usually comes with a beta version, which is free and allows you to use its functions for a time or restrictions of functionality. This happens a lot when it's a new tool. Or if it's a freemium software tool, as Google Drive, for example. You get 15GB of storage for free, but this wouldn't be enough. That's why they offer payment plans with higher capacity. You decide the limit of using that commercial tool.
- Not least we can tell you that this kind of software can bring solutions that fit your needs, as long as you have enough budget, which allows you to get where you want to go.
Pros of Custom Software:
- The great advantage of this type of software is that you always get what you need, since this software is custom made according to the needs you have, always meeting the particular requirements.
- You choose the reach and functionality of the software tool, also programming language and tech stack, even you have the opportunity to select the best developers team.
- As customized software, you'll be able to expand or modify that tool through time as your processes and business evolve.
- Every investment you make in this respect will be recovered, as it will improve the efficiency of your team and that translates into greater production, and then you try it, if it works perfectly you would turn that software tool into a mass or commercial software and get the return of your inversion and more.
- This type of software can be expanded according to your needs, you can always demand any modification from the developer if any it is highly modifiable, scalable, and flexible.
- The security in this software is very high, this to protect the information of each of your customers. It is another way to create a closer link with consumers. In case it is necessary to store data from them, you'll have control over it.
- If you hire a software team, you also get consulting on what and why you should use to improve the productivity of your company.
We are a software company that can help you develop software tools that help you solve your logistics challenges, increase the productivity of your employees, better manage time, communications, and customer service, among others. Contact us if you need free advice on this matter.
Cons of Commercial Software:
- This type of software can not be customized to your needs, so it is one of its biggest disadvantages if in the future you want to add or subtract any function.
- Commercial software has a lot of features because they are thought for a different kind of business, but this is a big problem because you might end up paying for features that you just don't use. After all, they are not within your necessities.
- They cannot be used with multi-platform programs, which are extremely important during work activities within the company, and which complement the work of each person.
Cons of Custom Software:
- The development time of your specialized software can take more time since developers must take time to study your processes and needs, give them a solution implementing technology, evaluate which tech stack is best suited, test the advances, and so on. But this disadvantage gets light at the end of the tunnel because there are methodologies of software development that are faster and agile. Actually, this is the name. SCRUM is one of them, and fortunately, we develop every tool with this kind of agile methodologies.
- The costs of development are higher. A team normally has developers, designers, managers, quality control engineers, etc. This is the only way to guarantee unique attention and effective results.
What Kind of Software is Best for Me?
Deciding which type of software suits me best is an important decision. It'll mark the future of the process and productivity of your company.
If your time to solve the situation is too short or if it's a general process such as sending emails, for example, bet on commercial software. It already comes with some predetermined functions, and you should not wait for this to be developed, always, of course, looking for the one that best suits your needs within the company.
- If you aren't in such a hurry.
- If you want to solve a more specific situation
- If you have plans to monetize in the long term
- If you want to control the functionality and development
Undoubtedly you should get custom software, which will be as close as possible to your requirements and needs.
Don't waste time and begin to streamline the work within your company. No matter if it's with commercial or custom software. It all depends on your needs and requirements to solve your challenges, so do not stay behind. We can help you with the development of your software. It's time to boost your business and take it to another level.